The following information is provided for the participants in our Introduction to Urban Design + Placemaking Module:
- Short Answer Test Template PIA UD Unit Manual - short answer test.dot (173kb)
- Placecheck PIA UD Unit place checklist.doc (228kb)
- Assignment Sheet (print out and include with your assignment) (17kb)
The short essay (500 to 1000 words) needs to demonstrate your understanding of the course and application - use urban design theory, language, tools etc. You can be asked to re-submit. Remember - it doesn't need to be long. Based my review of assignments I provide the following suggestions.
1. Undertake an audit of a place which you know well (use photos and diagrams). Incorporate plans and images into your text – not in an appendix. Use an accepted urban design tool e.g. Place Check or qualities of successful places to structure your observations and give credibility to your conclusions. Placecheck is an extensive list - be selective. This is more than a summary- strength and weaknesses and recommendations or what we might do differently. Avoid focusing on parks.
2. Describe improvements to placemaking outcomes within your organisation. This is more a review of the structure and policies of your organisation, strengths and weaknesses in terms of delivering places and what recommendations you have.
3. Write a brief for a place which needs improvement. Have a look at my suggestion on page 107 of the manual. The full brief would require more than 1000 words so acknowledge the full table of contents but focus on aspiration and process for example. Another option is to review a brief - did it deliver good urban design outcomes and what would you do differently?
4. Review of an urban design book covered in this course. Accepted practice for a review is a short summary, strengths and weaknesses and relevance to the discipline. Not just a summary.
5. Critique an urban design project which you are familiar with (it might be a proposal or built work). Incorporate plans and images into your text – not in an appendix. Use tool an accepted urban design tool e.g. Place Check or qualities of successful places to structure your observations and give credibility to your conclusions. Placecheck is an extensive list - be selective. This is more than a summary- strength and weaknesses and recommendations on what you might do differently.
6. Produce a short presentation to share the outcomes of this unit with your colleagues. Feel free to use course materials but demonstrate your points with your own photos.
7. Consider doing a skills Audit
If you don't agree with a position that the unit has taken - you may like to present an alternative argument as an assignment? Please email your proposal through to Placefocus before you do too much work on this.
- An assessment of Subiaco Square