"Our aim is to assist people to create and promote quality places."
Andrew Hammonds, Placefocus Founder.
We will share the “place skills” which can help make the very most of the places you are creating.
Multi-disciplinary - just like urban design
This two day module has been prepared for all who participate in the creation, design and management of the urban environment. For those at the forefront it will be a refresher of fundamentals. To those on the periphery, this course will assist in understanding the qualities of urban design, which we often respond to but find difficult to articulate and identify.
- Urban planners, architects, landscape architects
- Engineers – traffic, transport, civil, etc
- Property and Facility managers
- Project managers
- Surveyors, quantity surveyors, valuers, urban economists
- Development managers
- Social planners, community development planners
- Public art curators
- Urban and regional policy makers
“Anyone involved in placemaking would gain benefit. Very relevant and useful.” Gary Arnold. Melbourne, March 2010.
- Urban Design 101: introduces urban design and placemaking by discussing the differences, confirming our shared focus on form and social fabric, and providing clarity on urban design leadership.
- Place Principles: a broader context is required when working on cities. As with any human endeavour, our mind set towards our urban environment affects not only our approach but also the results. While this workbook will present concepts, principles and practices which are important, the most critical aspect is how we think of the city.
- Place Qualities: most of the cherished and highly valued places in Australia, as well as other parts of the world, share key characteristics or 'Place Qualities'.
- Place Typology: The place qualities we appreciate rely on planning and design outcomes at a whole continuum of scale from the building, street and the neighbourhood all the way through to the city and region. We call these ‘Place Typologies’.
- Place Process: urban design is about creating a vision for an area and then deploying the skills and resources to realise the vision. This is what we refer to as 'Place Creation'.
- Place Roles: explores who delivers deliver the places we like and assist in understanding the process.
- Place Tools: outlines the tools utilised in the process of urban design. Used effectively, they can deliver the high quality urban environment that people are increasingly demanding.
- Place Outcomes: when we provide, support and foster the characteristics of quality places there are flow on effects for our community.
- Best practice, news + journals: additional information not covered in the sections of the manual.
“Very well structured and informative course. Good mix of content and discussion and picks up on a number of urban design tools. Very relevant if you are working on a small scale development or a large master planning exercise”.Mark Kwiatkowski, Adelaide, July 2011
A dynamic learning experience - individual and group work, video clips, expert interviews, stimulating images, best practice examples, field study, mental maps........ We limit the course numbers to 20 to ensure time for discussion and interaction.
“Overall the unit exceeded my expectations - the use of interactive tools, interviews and variety of examples greatly assisted”. Aaron Oshyer, Canberra, June 2011
Already in it's second revision, this is an uniquely Australian "how to" guide to delivering quality places within our urban environment. The manual focuses on the key principles, qualities and processes of urban design, drawing upon theory and best practice to illustrate outcomes.
The manual provides a uniquely Australian reference and guide to delivering quality places within our urban environment. It explains the key principles, qualities and processes of urban design, drawing upon theory and best practice to illustrate outcomes. Information is provided on over 30 tools which can be used in the process of Place Creation. Featuring 145 photos of Australian and International places to reinforce key outcomes of each section. It also includes drawings, tables, Australian and International case studies and eight book reviews. This manual has benefited from extensive research with 63 sources referenced. The manual includes short answer questions to reinforce learning as well as a complementary copy of the 20 page Place Check document.
Before you buy preview the first ten pages of the manual by clicking here (6 mb).
“Course reference manual will be invaluable. It covers current best practice urban design thoroughly with many case study examples to demonstrate”. Daniel Herrmann, Melbourne, April 2011
Andrew’s qualifications, combined with experience in the successful delivery of national and international projects, places him at the leading edge of urban planning and design.
- Principal of AKH Consulting and founder of Placefocus
- M. Urban Design, GDURP, Grad Cert (SAM), BSc (AES)
- Cert IV Training and Assessment (not completed)
- President and founding member of The Urban Design Alliance (QLD)
- Adjunct Professor (Planning) at QUT
- Recipient of AV Jennings Churchill Fellowship
- Chairperson of AIUS (QLD)
- Ex-Principal of HASSELL
“Excellent and broad content, delivered with passion and enthusiasm. Thought provoking, yet sometimes challenging”. Andrew Robinson, Sydney, June 2011
What our customers say
“Andrew created an interactive forum which really engaged all of us. My knowledge of urban design and place making has expanded significantly”. Robert O'Brien, Brisbane, May 2011
“It was good how it was broken up with group discussions and photos etc. So it wasn't just a lecture. Great discussion”. Alisanne Green, Melbourne, April 2011
“Throughout the course you were very approachable, understanding and encouraged us with your comments online” Vige Satkunarajah, On-line, August 2010
“I am a lot more involved in urban design than I had realised. I had always thought of it as the province of architects and landscape architects and mainly involving the fine detailing of public places.” Ian McNicol, Online Training March 2010
More feedback on Linkedin
From time to time Placefocus may be forced to cancel a scheduled course due to unforeseen circumstances. In this event, all fees will be refunded to registered participants upon request. Alternatively, participants in cancelled courses may elect to roll over their booking into another course. Cancellation notices will be sent by email correspondence. If you are travelling interstate or overseas for the course, please ensure you book flexible/refundable air tickets and accommodation in the event of a cancellation. Please note Placefocus will not be liable for any additional expenses incurred by the participant as a result of this registration.
Transfer/cancellation of enrolment:
Where a written request for withdrawal is made ten working days or more from the course date, a refund of the fee paid - less an administration charge - will be made to the registered participant. No refund is payable for transfers or withdrawals within ten working days of course commencement, or to participants who fail to attend their nominated short course.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions in regards to this.
You want in-house training to facilitate organisational change on urban design and placemaking? Our corporate courses - 1/2 day, 1 day or our popular two day courses enable shared learning amongst colleagues within your organisation with minimal risk, as the success of the unit is proven. We provide customised in-house training within a dynamic learning experience aligned to organisational goals. This cost effective model enables participants to share experiences and transfer knowledge immediately back into their working roles. This format, delivered 'in-house' to more than 10 organisations over the last year, receives positive feedback and the requests for additional courses.
“I recommend this course – practical and fun” Dy Currie, Toowoomba Regional Council, May 2010
Brisbane: $5,000.00 plus GST; National: $8,000.00 plus GST
Contact Andrew Hammonds directly for more information 0407466615.
You want to learn more but can't afford time away from work?